Hot links: The week in Middle East retail real estate news
Publish Date: August 20, 2014
Here's a roundup of what regional news organizations in the Middle East are reporting about the local retail real estate business.
• Majid Al Futtaim reveals Dubai mall plans — AMEinfo Developer Majid Al Futtaim plans to build City Centre Me'aisem, located in the eponymous area of Dubai.
• IKEA opening first Bahrain store — Arabian Business IKEA is planning its first store in Bahrain, a 30,000-square-metre flagship, in capital city Manama. The outlet is planned for an opening in about three years.
• Apple's Middle East debut might be its largest store — Business Insider Apple is posting hiring notices for retail positions in the United Arab Emirates. If it opens a store, it would be the tech giant's first in the Middle East.
• Transportation kiosks expand to Dubai malls — Emirates 24/7 Smart kiosks that allow customers to pay Dubail's Road and Transportation Authority (RTA) for services are coming to Dubai's shopping centres.
• Danube Group building on success — Saudi Gazette Danube group started from humble beginnings as a small store in Dubai 19 years ago to a global building-materials retailer with about 40 outlets in nine countries under the names Danube Building Materials and BUILDMART.
• Abu Dhabi inflation rate dips — The National Abu Dhabi's inflation rate in July was at 3.2 percent, down from June's five-year high of 3.8 percent.
• Dune London footwear expands in region — Gulf News U.K.-based fashion-footwear chain Dune London is opening an additional two stores in the Middle East, one in Kuwait's Gate Mall and one in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia's Panorama Mall.
• VOX Cinemas continues Oman openings — Oman Daily Observer VOX Cinemas recently opened a seven-screen theatre, in City Centre Qurum. The new facility follows a 10-screen VOX in City Centre Muscat.
• New Carrefour opening in BurJuman — Emirates 24/7 A new Carrefour store is scheduled to open Aug. 21 at the BurJuman mall in Dubai.
• DHL expands Emirates retail presence — Arabian Supply Chain Shipping company DHL is opening more retail customer service centres across the United Arab Emirates, some of them in malls.
• Dubai restaurateur going from pop-up to flagship — Elan Moti Roti, a fast-casual restaurant chain in Dubai that has spread through the city via pop-up units, is looking to open a flagship location.
• Opinion: Oman needs more retail to draw tourists — Times of Oman In order for Oman to attract more visitors in areas outside of Muscat, the nation needs more shopping and entertainment outlets.
• Pure Gold jewelry chain heads to Paris — Arabian Business Pure Gold Group, a retail-jewellery chain based in Duabi, is opening its first store in Paris. The store will be under its Arianna retail brand and will be the first international unit for that chain.
• Dubai Customs nabs counterfeit goods — Arabian Business Dubai Customs seized $4.7 million in counterfeit goods being brought into the emirate over the first six months of the year.
• Abu Dhabi mall hosts back-to-school promotion — Abu Dhabi City Guide Dalma Mall in Abu Dhabi has put together a back-to-school promotion that lasts until Sept. 15, which includes several activities, sales and raffle prizes.